Monday, October 15, 2007

From the Microphone to the Grave


Well I have made my return home to Arizona and now the blog. This is Monday of the first full week of work I've had in 3 weeks and I'm not looking forward to it. NYC was incredible, and my partner nor myself were never in real danger of getting arrested which was nice - and a first. Not to say we didn't break the law at all, believe you me there were plenty of alcohol, drug, and indecency charges that could have been filed. But no real danger.


The best story I came home with was our friend's at Blue Microphone, an excellent mic company. I met up with Eric from Blue on Saturday night and asked him how his booth was on the showroom floor. He told me that they had sent out 5 pieces to their booth from LA to NYC- but only 4 arrived. Imagine trying to show off all your new gear and software to potential clients and peers at the largest conference for your industry, but you're missing 20% of your equipment. That next morning at 4am they got a phone call from the lobby telling Blue that they had a package awaiting for them at their booth. In an empty dark room at The Javit's Center huge convention room floor, in front of Blue Microphone's booth- was a coffin. With dead body in tow.


Someone at DHL or UPS or whatever they used to send their packages must have mixed up the labels trading 'Ole Uncle Billy for a bran new Blue Woodpecker Microphone. Must've been a funny lookng urn. I know you want to feel bad for the family, but what about the dude who found the coffin by himself in a dark huge room at 4:30am? That shit would put me in therapy. I did recommend that he take a rival manufacturer's product and put it in the dead guys hand, then post a sign that says 'Bob used "X" Microphones,' but Eric then mentioned something about poor taste.


I did get to meet Les Paul and got a pic with him (see above), but no Bon Jovi. In fact I think that my boss misheard and it was Bongiovi or perhaps Englebert Humperdinck. I did see Boone from Anaimal House who is now on NBC's 'Damages', and I think I had a Snoop Dogg sighting too. NYC is a crazy place, lot's of walking. I drank all I could drink, ate all I could eat, and still I returned in better shape and a couple lbs. lighter. The last thing I learned was that trains rule. After playing tourist a little bit with the folks who joined me on our last day up, we took the train back towards Philadelphia. Amtrak was fast, comfy, and easy- the only thing simpler was the subway system in NYC which is nothing to be afraid of. It does smell a little bit like pee and sure you'll run into a few creeps but that's part of the fun of it. It was a quick reminder that vacation was over when I get home at 8am to go to work for the first time in a week and some jerkoff stole my license plate off my car. So no driving for Uncle Greg. Then I get to work and a client wants my head cuz one of my jerkoff students walked off the gig without so much as a 'Fuck you prick!' So it's back to the grind again, and I'm looking forward to another week of adventure.

This weekend was doused in a little vodka, the Diamondbacks proving they are not the better team this year as they slip to 3 games down to none, my girlfriend losing her keys somewhere in Chandler leading to a romantic early morning hungover hike around town, another hike over to a Chinese Buffet, and a dog park. Nice, quiet, & lame, which is just what I needed after the self punishment of last weekend. Welcome back me.

No comments: